Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Day 1 - December 21 - 9:30am


I called a cab to the hospital and arrived at 9am, a full hour ahead of schedule. The doctor from the night before had given me a "fasttrack" letter to get into emergency for my appointment. Plastics would come to emergency to have a look. It didn't take long for two doctors in purple scrubs to show up and begin questioning what had happened.
We relocated to a treatment room and unwrapped my feet. The bandages slid off easily and the blisters from the night before, along with a few jumbo-sized friends and some residual burn cream greeted us.

The resident doctor made some observations and the other made notes. The resident doctor cut off the blisters and cleaned my feet with gauze and sterile water. Doc applied a special clear gel and cut strips of silver anti-microbial dressing (with real silver, not the fake stuff). Gauze was draped over my toes and then my whole foot was wrapped in more gauze. Finally a tensor was wrapped around my feet and I was ready to go. Throughout the entire ordeal I didn't feel a thing, but I have to admit I became somewhat enamoured with my doctor and hardly noticed my feet while she worked her magic. Yes, she.

With the holidays around the corner I would hit a bt of a snag. I was traveling to Edmonton for Christmas and the burn unit there would be closed - so I would either have to cancel Christmas to go to the Vancouver burn center or go to a walk-in clinic at home to get the dressings changed. I chose the latter, or rather the latter chose me - despite Vancouver being snowed-in, my flight made it out with only a 2.5 hour delay. Most walk-ins don't see frostbite this serious, let alone carry the expensive gel and silver dressings, so doc gave me some materials to take home with me along with some written instructions on how to apply them.

Still no feeling in my toes at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment