Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Day 0/1 - December 20/21 - 2am

As it has now been almost two weeks since the day, we have some catching up to do. We'll do this in the next couple of posts.

On Saturday December 20th, I went out on a backcountry ski trip with a very experienced BCMC group. I am also adequately experienced for the trip that was planned but a few things gone wrong, some in my power and some not, conspired on that day to give my feet a good shellacking (look it up, it's a word). I hadn't even realize the seriousness with my feet until I was at home attempting to thaw them in a warm tub and feeling in my toes... nothing.

My roommate Ange walked in the door at that moment and I asked her to drive me to the hospital. All of my toes were hard, HARD, to the touch. I could feel nothing. The doctor had a look, noted toes 2 on the right and 2, 3, and 4 on the left as highest risk (hmmm, not good) and made an appointment for me to return the next day at 10am to see the plastics department (hmmm again). One blister had begun to appear on my right big toe. The nurse drained the blister and applied copious amounts of refrigerated burn cream to the tops of my toes - I could feel the coolness on the tops of my pinky toes only. She wrapped them in gauze and sent me on my way. It was 2am. Ange had remained to drive me home.



Sidenote - both the doctor and nurse took an interest in my trip as they are both backcountry skiers themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment