Thursday, January 1, 2009

Day 12 - January 1 - Individually wrapped for freshness

Last night and again today I felt a need to get my dressings changed so I got a ride to the hospital after brunch and began a long, long day of waiting. Arrived at 2:30pm, got home at 8:30pm - 2.5 hours in the waiting room 2 hours of soaking my old dressings so they would come off, and about 1.5 hours of meticulously applied new dressings.

As you can see, there is some green going on underneath those old bandages, although I was told that the silver dressing actually causes green discolouration. Maybe some infection too though - the nurse said that she could smell... something. What you cannot see from the pictures, despite my best efforts to capture it, is the rainbow of sickly colours that my toes have turned since my last change on the 27th. Black, purple, blue, red, grey, and yes, green. To my surprise however the doctor and nurse were pleased with the way my toes appeared to be "healing" as if I could actually call it that. With the bandages (almost) off I still cannot wiggle or really feel my toes past the second (or is it third) knuckle. I test the function of my toes and try to lean forward, but my toes do not stop me from falling forward and I must catch myself.

Also to my surprise was the surprise that the doctor and nurse showed when they learned I had only had one dressing change in nearly two weeks, that I was not getting them far more often, even daily. Such is life during the holidays. I was instructed to get a change on the 29th then again on the 7th. Thank goodness I decided to come in today instead of wait until the 7th (another full week from now) as I thought I was supposed to.

Thirdly to my surprise was the extent to which the silver dressings decided to adhere themselves to my wounds. They simply wouldn't come off without tearing my toes underneath so I spent a large amount of time with wet gauze on my feet to moisten the wounds enough for the silver to release. Oh well, I had no where to be today.

Fourth, and lastly, to my surprise was the meticulousness with which my nurse redressed each toe individually. First cleaning each with sterile water and gauze, between toes and then carefully drying them. Application of gel, then silver, soaked in sterile water and carefully cut to the exact size of each wound on each toe. Then gauze, cut and and applied over each patch of silver, then each toe wrapped in thin strip of bandage, taped, and plastic wrapped. Finally each toe was covered with a protective little "toque". Elapsed time: must have been at least 1.5 hours.

My homework is to inject 1/2 cc of sterile water into each patch of gauze on Saturday to keep the dressing moist. And finally I am to report back on Sunday for another dressing change.

PS. the completed bandages now appear as in the final photo below. No more wrappings all around my feet. I can fit into some stretchy ski socks but not into shoes quite yet. ... It's been a long day, time for bed. Oh - and Happy New Year.


















































































No comments:

Post a Comment