Sunday, January 4, 2009

Day 15 - January 5 - the most expensive pedicure known to man

I think I'm on the mend. I hope. Today was my third dressing change and while the pics are quite gross you can see that the swelling has gone down substantially. I have some bogginess on the big toes that comes from too much moisture in the bandages, and the ends of the first two or three toes have yet to sluff off (hopefully it's that easy) but today I could actually spread my toes. Also, the pain is still faintly numb and achy, but it's there on the tops of pretty much every toe. One blister, on left #4, has even healed over so that it didn't need to be bandaged up today.

With frostbite being such a rarity in Vancouver, there was a parade of doctors and nurses coming through the treatment room to observe. I don't mind the attention at all, made all the more enjoyable in that most of them were of the pretty female persuasion. Ironic that after ice climbing and skiing in the backcountry for nearly 10 years in the often bitterly cold Rockies that I wouldn't get serious frostbite until my first backcountry foray on the balmy west coast.

Adding up the costs of just one of these visits, I must say that I feel thankful for our great Canadian health care system. It was only a year ago that I was (almost) living in the USA doing the same outdoor activities; a visit like this must cost upwards of $300, maybe a lot more. One to two hours with one or two registered nurses, materials (the Acticote silver dressing is $65/sheet - their cost) plus margin. Quite a pedicure, and one to two time weekly to boot.

Ange asked me today if I were upset or sad about my situation. Yes, I suppose I am. Today I got a call from the BCMC confirming that I couldn't participate in the backcountry clinic over the next two weekends, and over the holidays I missed the Marmot trip with Kyle. These things are regrettable but I was able to accept my situation very early on, the first day in fact. In light of how much worse things could have been for me (bad things did cross my mind that day on the 20th) and now especially in light of the recent backcountry accidents in Sparwood, Mt. Seymour, and Whistler, I can only be more grateful that all I have to worry about having a patient recovery. I don't think I've fully resigned myself (is that the right term?) that I could lose some toes yet, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there. That decision could still be weeks away.

Well, I start work, and my last semester of school, tomorrow. I'll have a lot less time to put into this blog I imagine, but I'll try to continue to post until I'm fully recovered. I'm learning a lot from this experience and I'm hoping that some one might read it and take a little extra caution when they're out in the backcountry too.

1 comment: