Saturday, January 3, 2009

Day 14 - January 3 - Mr. Peanut

I tried venturing out yesterday and did pretty well actually. The streets of Vancouver, particularly the sidewalks and sidestreets (i.e. my street) are still covered with ice and snow. Like true Vancouverites residents (and the city) are counting on our balmy west coast climate to melt away the snow. It ain't happened in three weeks now: piles of snow, frozen slush, melted and refrozen sheets of ice all make for quite the obstacle course for someone with inhibited mobility, myself now counted among those. Anyone on a motorized wheelchair is guaranteed to be housebound. I, with my crutches, had enough trouble and found it easier to use them as two ice axes. That combined with my sore armpits, convinced me to replace the crutches with a cane today. Yolanda said all I need is a monacle and top hat and I could be Mr. Peanut - I do have a fedora so perhaps I could pass for an impersonator... although I think Mr. Peanut uses his cane for dancing, not to prevent himself from falling ass-over-teakettle on the street.

I also replaced my footwear - from hut booties (that are not waterproof and are starting to wear through) to $17 over-sized Canadian Tire duck shoes that have already given my ankles blisters. These new shoes wil not only keep my dry, but they won't look as ridiculous with a suit when I start my new job in the heart of the downtown financial district, on Monday.

My toes today are really, really ugly. I injected the water into the bandages as instructed. Tomorrow is another dressing change.

No comments:

Post a Comment