Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Day 31 - January 21 - Bye Bye Bandages (save one)


My toes are hideous. But they're getting better. Today my bandages came off at the Burn Clinic and this is what greeted me. All wounds closed and dry, except Right#2, which finished with a bandage. The nurse said she was being gentle but it felt like a belt sander as she picked and pulled and scraped dead skin away. At the end of it I joyfully, yet very carefully, slipped my feet into a pair of my own size 9 dress shoes (for work) and retired the $17 size 10 Canadian Tire duck shoes. It was a tight squeeze but I managed until I got home 10 hours later, with a forty minute shoeless break at lunch (went for Japanese and had to take our shoes off). It's actually quite a gross feeling without the bandages now. Wiggling my toes, it feels like little flaps of hardened skin tickling each other. The new skin is extemely sensitive. Next appointment: one month. I will be changing Right#2 dressings myself with flamazine (?) cream instead of Acticoat, and avoiding getting it wet until the tip and top are healed over. STILL open wounds there.

No comments:

Post a Comment