Saturday, January 24, 2009

Day 34 - January 24 - Patience (Warning: Gross Pics Ahead)

In the two days following my last post, nearly all of the old skin has peeled off of my toes. This wasn't a pleasant experience as it was pretty stuck on there and it took some time and effort to get it off. I was encouraged to do this as it is supposed to enable the skin underneath to heal up faster. Both of my big toenails came off in the process - quite by accident actually after an excruciatingly painful day in some dress shoes (for work) I got home and found that the nails had separated from the skin underneath and with a small
amount of leverage they peeled off FORWARDS from the back to the front. With them came the bulk of the dead skin around the rest of my big toes. The nail of Right#2 came off too (which by the way is still an open wound and requires daily dressing changes.
The patience part of this ordeal might already be apparent to you. It is now Day 34 and the wounds have still not closed completely. The rest of my toes are still numb and stiff, the tissue underneath is not supple as your digits normally are. The new skin that has been revealed is shiny, waxy looking and unbelievably sensitive and fragile: the pinky toenail of my right foot has managed to cut into the toe next to it and make it bleed; the spot where it rubs aches enough to make me cringe when I walk. I am told that it may be a total of SIX MONTHS before I am 100% again. One down, five to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment