Thursday, January 15, 2009

Day 24 - January 14 - {{CRINGE}}

Today I was hoping to walk out o the clinic with fewer bandages but alas this was not to be. In fact this visit turned out to be one to of the shakiest that I've had, mostly because the nurse completely shook my confidence in her competency/experience in dressing wounded toes. After a week of being in the bandages, they had dried to my toes quite firmly; she promptly yanked them off with a little sterile water for lubrication. Dead skin, which could have easily been cleaned off was left to hang off of my toes while she sloppily gooped the gel on, slapped on the Acticoat then attempted to wrap the toes in adhesive foam, leaving at least a half an inch of dressing protruding from the end of my toes. This caused concern that I would be able to fit into my shoes at all, not to mention the question of whether the bandages would stay attached for longer than a day (they have). It was the messiest job I have experienced since the get go - even hastier and messier than my trip to the walk-in clinic in Sherwood Park.
Thankfully, my toes have been getting better each day. I retired the cane the day after my last post and have been hobbling around on my own, albeit quite slowly. I still lack any real sensitivity in my toes, but I am confident that this will come back with time. In my next trip to the burn clinic next week I hope to walk out sans bandages so that I can have an actual get-my-feet-wet shower and fit into my shoes. At that point I will also be able to join a new gym close to work - the inability to shower thing is the only thing holding me back.
Highly relevant to my frozen toes, today I attended a Toastmaster's meeting at work and was randomly given the table topic to speak on "How to stay warm in the cold winter". Actually it had more to do with preventing a cold, but I spun it around so that I was talking more about how to prevent your toes from freezing off. Solution: stay warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment